Try These 9 Supplements to Boost Your Health
Try These 9 Supplements to Boost Your Health
As a nurse practitioner and functional medicine specialist, people often ask me for my top recommendations in every area of health… but especially when it comes to supplements! In the functional medicine world we try not to rely on big pharma companies to provide solutions to our clients, because pharmaceuticals are usually designed to help mask and manage symptoms rather than provide healing. With supplements, the goal is to give your body extra support where it needs, so it can heal naturally. I typically run functional lab tests on my clients to determine what supplements would be most supportive. At the same time, there are specific supplements I don’t have to run a test for, in order to recommend them. These are supplements I find myself recommending again and again that are supportive to everyone. A Quick Note on Quality… Supplement quality MATTERS!! Supplement production is not regulated by the FDA like big pharma, so quality can vary widely with supplements because there are no requirements for testing or accuracy of claims on supplement labels. Your best bet is to buy your supplements directly from the manufacturer (so skip Amazon) AND choose companies that openly publish research and communicate how they ensure quality. I am a partner with an amazing company called Designs for Health. I love them for several reasons: their commitment to purity, full disclosure of ingredients, superior manufacturing practices, science & evidence based formulations, and their large formulary of over 300 products. All the supplements below are from the Designs For Health line, and include a link to a shop page for you to get lower pricing than Amazon and free shipping on every order. Without further adieu, here are my TOP 9 supplement recommendations for general health. If you came to my house, these are what you’d find in my medicine cabinet!!
This is the best fish oil/omega-3 product out there. Each serving provides 1500mg of EPA/DHA per serving. If you’ve ever taken a fish oil and burped up a fish taste after – you won’t have to worry about that in this formulation. Also, the ratio of EPA/DHA mimics what is naturally found in seafood. Taking fish oil daily will help you reduce your body’s inflammation levels.
2.VITAMIN D SYNERGY Vitamin D plays a role in supporting the immune system and is a key player in bone health and calcium regulation in the body. It also supports healthy prostate, colon and breast tissue. Technically, vitamin D is not an “essential” nutrient, because the human body can synthesize it when UVB rays from sunlight interact with cholesterol stored in our skin. The problem is many people do not get enough exposure to the sun for optimal Vitamin D synthesis. This particular Vitamin D formulation includes Vitamin K which is a perfect pairing because it directs the calcium in the body to deposit it into bones and teeth instead of forming kidney stones or calcium deposits in the vessels.
3.MAGNESIUM BUFFERED CHELATE Magnesium helps to regulate heart rhythms, blood pressure, and strong bones. It’s a mineral that is CRUCIAL to the body’s function. Too little magnesium is often correlated with inflammation. This particular form is easier on your digestion due to the very stable chelate formed between two glycine molecules and each magnesium ion, via a process patented by Designs for Health. That’s a fancy way of saying this is a great form of magnesium your body will actually be able to use! I take it every night before bed. Magnesium Buffered Chelate may help support:
- Metabolism and energy production
- Healthy bone mass
- Muscle function • Physical and mental relaxation
- Neurological health
- Healthy blood glucose metabolism
- Healthy kidney function
- Heart health
- Blood vessel function
4. C+BIOFIZZ This is a fizzy, drinkable supplement that includes additional bioflavonoids found in citrus fruits. If you missed my blog on 6 Simple Ways to Boost Your Immunity, check it out now to see how much vitamin C helps you boost your immunity. Vitamin C is an essential vitamin, which means it cannot be made in the body and must be ingested from food or through supplements. Vitamin C is a power-nutrient, and is essential for immunity, bone maintenance, and even collagen formation. Have you ever wondered what can cause your body to need more vitamin C? Here’s a list:
- Birth control pills
- Estrogen use during menopause
- Certain medications, such as cortisone and aspirin
5. DIGESTZYMES Kick post-meal belly bloat and gas to curb with a proprietary blend of digestive enzymes and betaine HCL, to support the optimal digestion of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. This supplement is especially helpful for people who experience gas and bloating after eating or deal with constipation regularly. Take this right as you begin to eat a meal! Here are some signs you may benefit from Digestzymes.
- Occasional bloating and gas, particularly after eating
- Feeling full after eating only a small quantity of food
- Infrequent mild indigestion/heartburn (components of undigested food bubbles back up into the esophagus)
- Bowel irregularities such as occasional diarrhea and/or constipation
6. PROBIOMED 50 Probiomed is a shelf stable combination of 50 billion live probiotic strains. In recent years the popularity of probiotics have been on the rise because of the many benefits including but not limited to:
- Better metabolism
- Improved digestion (which translates into better nutrient absorption)
- Enhanced immune function
- Glowing skin
- Reduced risk for many chronic diseases including autoimmune disease, diabetes, and more
This is the ONE supplement from this entire list that I highly recommend you get, if you have to choose just one.
7. CURCUM-EVAIL (TURMERIC) Unlock the immense health benefits of turmeric with this supplement. Curcum-Evail contains ‘curcuminoids’ derived from turmeric root. This spice is rooted in Ayurveda, which is traditional Indian medicine. The three curcuminoids in this product are the strongest, most protective and best researched constituents of turmeric root. This supplement has a much higher concentration of the active compounds than would typically be obtainable from food alone. Turmeric is best known for helping to support a healthy inflammatory response, and is known to boost digestion and immunity. Plus it’s good for brain, cardiovascular, liver, and endocrine health too! I love the chewable version of this supplement! It tastes like starburst candy!
8. ESSENTIAGREENS This is a greens food product densely packed with high antioxidant value vegetables, cleansing alkalizing grass juices, and a proprietary blend of fruits and berries. Our Standard American Diet is low in plant food and high in acidity. Essentiagreens is filled with antioxidant-rich nutrients that sustain energy and mental clarity. A daily dose of this is a simple way for everyone in your family to “get in their veggies.” It’s sweetened with inulin, a natural prebiotic fiber that supports the good bacteria in your gut. Plus it helps balance blood lipid and sugar levels.
9. WHOLE BODY COLLAGEN Collagen is a special type of protein that accounts for as much as 30% of the body’s total protein. This collagen can be incorporated into shakes, smoothies, and other beverages, even your morning cup of tea or coffee! Throughout Asia chicken feet are consumed regularly because of the benefits of collagen. Animal skin and bone broth are other ways to consume collagen. If your diet doesn’t include regular consumption of natural forms of collagen, you could benefit from this supplement. Don’t miss out on the many benefits…
- Gut health
- Bone strength
- Joint health
- Skin elasticity
Want my FULL Vibrant Health Supplements Guide? I’ve created a FREE 21 page PDF guide details ALL of my supplement recommendations for the following:
- Flu & Cold Support
- Pain Relief & Inflammation Support
- Sleep Support
- Women’s Health Support
- Meal Replacement
Plus I included a 10% off coupon code for your Designs for Health purchase in the guide. Click the button below to claim your free copy of the guide!
DOWNLOAD THE VIBRANT HEALTH SUPPLEMENTS GUIDE